Thursday, September 22, 2011

They're Real! (I swear)

So, I recently gifted myself with a few fun things from Sephora for my own birthday last week (because I'm just that lame). One of those things is none other than Benefit's new They're Real! mascara. I've heard great things and had to check it out for myself. I gotta say - it was pretty much love at first swipe. Keep reading for a picture-heavy review.


Benefit's ad for this mascara states: They're real! lengthens, curls, volumizes, lifts & separates. Our jet black, long-wearing formula won’t smudge or dry out. A specially designed brush reveals lashes you never knew you had!
They also give you directions on how to use it, which I thought was pretty hilarious. But in any case this stuff really lives up to the name. It really does make your lashes look like false lashes. It's intense. 

The brush is a rubber brush with thin tapered bristles that are densely packed together in order to find each and every lash. And the funny little tip, reminiscent of a Morning Star (see? this blog is educational too!), can easily tackle your lower lashes and bring out hairs you never knew were there. I usually don't do my lower lashes because I'm prone to "raccoon eye" brought on by my oily skin. But I wore this mascara all day long on the lower lashes of just one eye and I suffered very little smudging. 

On to the photos!

Here you can see how the forumla builds up fibers on the lashes of my right eye to make them appear thicker and creating nice volume. I combed through them after applying several coats (about 3?) and it produced a nice, clean, and super long result. On my left eye I did only 1 coat for a slightly less dramatic effect. 

Holy length, Batman! I probably wouldn't wear this mascara to the office. I'm actually pretty conservative with makeup for work. I would definitely wear this out on the weekends, though. If you're more glam than me (which isn't hard), girl, wear it to the office. WORK! (see what I did there?...)

This is my left eye which I only applied 1 coat to and I didn't put any on my lower lashes. You can tell the difference in person, and my eyes did look a little lopsided from one another. But! by applying it sparingly you can certainly achieve a less dramatic, more wearable look with just as much length as several coats (less volume though). It was after just the one swipe that I was immediately impressed. It's a less watery formula, too, which is what I look for in a mascara. A "dryer" consistency will smudge less, and hold a curl better because it locks in the curl faster. 

I definitely give this mascara an A for actually doing what it says it will do. Taking it off isn't that hard, either. The only thing you should make sure to do is comb through them with a lash comb or an old clean mascara wand (which is what I use - cheap and easy!) between coats. It will keep the lashes from grouping together in spidery clusters. BTW, did you know that spidery lashes are totally in for this fall? What?! Please don't be a slave to fashion, people. Sometimes fashion is stupid. 

On that note, I bid you adieu for today with one last derp-y photo b/c I'm in a tremendously silly mood.

 à bientôt!
-A

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I want eye lashes like these! Love the last picture! ;o

    ReplyDelete